History and Heritage
Not many institutions have a genuine claim to go back to Domesday, but St Peter’s is one of the few churches with its own entry in the survey of 1086, which tells us it was held by two priests “in the King’s alms” before the Norman Conquest of 1066.
Although it is significant that there was a church dedicated to St Peter in the town over 900 years ago, the building exists today not because it is old, but because it is in regular use as a place in which Christians gather to worship God. The Good News of Jesus Christ was around before St Peter’s Church was built, and the message is as fresh and vital today as it was 2000 years ago.
However, many centuries of worshippers have shaped the building into what it is today, and here is an outline of the history of our church building.
Tour of the building
A right Royal Rumpus – or, the funeral of Caroline of Brunswick
Memorials in the nave and chancel
Other memorials in the aisles
Memorial slabs in the floors
List of all the Vicars (and Rectors) known to have been at St Peter’s
Who appoints the vicar?